As implementation of the health reform law (the Affordable Care Act) continues, the Cancer Support Community (CSC) is pleased to announce the launch of a Spanish language version of the successful resource, the Cancer Insurance Checklist. This easy-to-use guide is available to assist people with cancer, a history of cancer or at risk for cancer choose a health insurance plan.
The need is great. Nearly a third (31.1%) of Hispanics and Latinos under age 65 in the United States do not have health insurance, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 10.2 million Hispanics and Latinos are eligible for coverage through the health insurance marketplaces, 3.7 million of whom speak Spanish as their primary language.
Cancer Insurance Checklist: Guía de Cobertura Médica para Personas con Cáncer was designed to provide guidance for people who prefer resources in Spanish as they consider their needs and options for health insurance. The deadline to register and purchase coverage through the marketplaces for 2014 is March 31, 2014.
Available at SegurosMedicosYCancer.org, Cancer Insurance Checklist: Guía de Cobertura Médica para Personas con Cáncer is a useful Spanish language guide to help you find a health insurance plan that will meet your needs. The Checklist walks you through the process of evaluating and comparing plans’ coverage for cancer-related services and the costs associated with that coverage.
WHEN TO USE THE CHECKLIST:
- If you will be purchasing insurance on your state’s health insurance marketplace
- If you have cancer, a history of cancer, or are at risk for cancer
- When evaluating insurance plans
- When discussing your insurance needs with your navigator or marketplace representative
- When discussing your cancer care needs with your health care provider
Simply fill in the three worksheets for each insurance plan you are considering. By doing so, you will be able to tell which insurance plan best fits your needs and your budget.
The Cancer Insurance Checklist and Cancer Insurance Checklist: Guía de Cobertura Médica para Personas con Cáncer were developed through a partnership of 19 cancer and advocacy organizations led by the Cancer Support Community.
SegurosMedicosYCancer.org also provides helpful links to other Spanish-language resources related to cancer and insurance.
We urge you to use and share this helpful new tool with anyone who may need it. And if you need any assistance with cancer related issues, please call CSC’s Helpline at 1-888-793-9355, which offers support services in English and Spanish.
- Health Care Reform: What's Next
- Adequate Health Care Options could be threatened by States New Waiver Authority
- Replacing the Affordable Care Act: What You Need to Know
- Americans Left Behind by Health Reform
- The Cancer Insurance Checklist: Your guide to shopping for insurance on the marketplace/ exchange