Turkey and Barley Vegetable Soup
This soup is comforting and delicious and is a great option for those who have trouble swallowing. It is also high in protein, which is important for healing, and a good source of fiber, which helps promote healthy bowel movements. To save time, make barley ahead of time or swap it out for quinoa which has a shorter cooking time.
- Add barley, 1½ cups water, and pinch of salt in large pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer and cover for 45 minutes until water is absorbed.
- While barley is cooking, brown ground turkey with 2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil into large stockpot. Add onions, celery, zucchini, and squash. Sauté for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, green beans, remaining water, broth, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes to soften vegetables.
- Add turkey and barley to soup. Heat through.
- Top with optional parmesan cheese.
Per serving: 260 calories, 13 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 640 mg sodium, 24 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams dietary fiber, 21 grams protein