Cheesy Chicken Millet Bake
This millet bake is just as comforting as a traditional chicken and rice casserole, but higher in protein and fiber. The leeks add a rich flavor and the cheese gives it a creamy texture. It is a perfect meal to make ahead of time to freeze in individual portions. Since it is high in calories and protein, this millet bake is a good recipe to help those needing to gain weight.
1 cup millet
2 cups water
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 lb. ground chicken breast
2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup milk
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese*
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking dish.
- Cook millet according to package instructions. Once water is absorbed, place cooked millet in baking dish.
- While millet is cooking, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil into large skillet. Once heated, brown chicken in skillet, seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from pan once cooked and add to baking dish with millet.
- Add leeks and spinach, cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add to baking dish with millet.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic cloves, add milk and spices. Let it come to a simmer and then add cheddar. Stir until melted. Add to baking pan and mix together.
- Top with parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
Per serving: 410 calories, 17 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 80 mg cholesterol, 780 mg sodium, 33 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams dietary fiber, 32 grams protein