Cancer Insurance Checklist
Making Sense of the Health Insurance Options
The Cancer Support Community has participated in a unique partnership of 18 cancer and advocacy organizations to develop the Cancer Insurance Checklist. The Checklist is designed to provide guidance on the issues that you as a person with cancer, with a history of cancer, or with a high risk for cancer should consider when shopping for insurance.
Making decisions about insurance plans can be complex. Insurance plan options in the Marketplaces will have varying coverage and cost-sharing scenarios.
Benefits of the Cancer Insurance Checklist
The Cancer Insurance Checklist arms you with the right questions to ask so that you can evaluate and compare coverage for cancer-related services and the costs associated with that coverage.
You may not need all of the treatments in the Checklist, and there may be other treatments, costs or aspects of your care that you need to consider. The Checklist is a useful guide to help you find a plan that will meet your needs. The Checklist also provides helpful links to other resources related to cancer and insurance.
When To Use The Checklist:
- If you will be purchasing insurance on your state’s Health Insurance Marketplace/Exchange
- If you have cancer, a history of cancer, or are at risk for cancer
- When evaluating insurance plans
- When discussing your insurance needs with your Navigator or Marketplace/ Exchange representative
- When discussing your cancer care needs with your health care provider
Fill out the three worksheets for each insurance plan you are considering. By doing so, you will be able to tell which insurance plan best fits your needs and your budget.
If you need any assistance with cancer related issues, please call CSC’s Helpline at 1-888-793-9355.