Help Protect People Impacted by Cancer
Make your voice heard! Tell your U.S. Senators to prioritize cancer patients, survivors, and caregivers.
Congress is currently working on the details of what will be included in the Build Back Better Act. This “human infrastructure” bill aims to expand the country’s social safety net by funding important health care and social programs that will improve the lives of people who are impacted by cancer. However, there continues to be great division about the importance of the various provisions. We urge you to contact your U.S. Senators to lift the voices of all cancer patients.
Access to affordable, high-quality, and comprehensive medical and mental health care is vital throughout the cancer journey. Take 2 minutes and complete this form to urge your U.S. Senators to prioritize issues important to the cancer community in the Build Back Better Act!
- Create a National Paid Family and Medical Leave Program: Paid family and medical leave is critical for people with a serious illness or health condition, such as cancer, and for those caring for a loved one. Not all patients or caregivers currently have access to paid leave, and without it they face significant financial burden when they must take a leave of absence from their job for treatment, recovery, or to care for a loved one. Urge Congress to create a national paid family and medical leave program that includes paid leave benefits for people with serious illnesses and health conditions and caregivers.
- Close the Medicaid Coverage Gap: The Affordable Care Act (ACA) expanded Medicaid eligibility for adults with low incomes. To date, 38 states and the District of Columbia have expanded Medicaid, and nearly 15 million people have gained coverage as a result. Urge Congress to take steps to permanently cover the more than 2.2 million adults, including many with cancer, that fall into the coverage gap in the 12 states that have not expanded Medicaid eligibility.
- Make Enhanced Advanced Premium Tax Credits Permanent: The American Rescue Plan expanded the ACA Marketplace premium tax credits to cover more people for 2021 and 2022, which helps patients afford high-quality health insurance. Urge Congress to make these enhanced tax credits permanent so that cancer patients and survivors can continue to benefit from affordable and high-quality insurance options.
- Expand Medicare to Include Dental, Vision, and Hearing Benefits: Currently Medicare, which provides health insurance for nearly 63 million seniors and people with disabilities, excludes coverage for hearing aids, provides only limited vision coverage, and generally does not cover dental benefits. Urge Congress to include funding for dental, vision, and hearing coverage for the millions of people who rely on Medicare.
- Cap Annual Out-of-Pocket Prescription Drug Costs: Approximately 46 million people are enrolled in Medicare Part D, to help cover costs of prescription drugs. Unlike commercial insurance plans, Medicare Part D does not cap or limit a beneficiary’s out-of-pocket prescription drug costs in a calendar year. Urge Congress to take the steps to to impose a cap on the amount Medicare Part D beneficiaries pay out-of-pocket each year for prescription drugs so people with cancer may afford their medications.
Thank you for taking action to improve the lives of all those impacted by cancer. By coming together with one voice, we will have much more success in our efforts. A great deal is on the line for millions of families who continue to struggle ever day to find affordable, quality health care.
You’ll receive emails from the Cancer Support Community. You may unsubscribe at any time.