Managing the Cost of Cancer Treatment
Tips for Talking About the Cost of Cancer Treatment
Two important questions to ask about managing the cost of cancer care are:
- What financial impact will my cancer diagnosis and cancer treatment have on my life?
- Am I able to coordinate the financial piece of my cancer care right now?
Asking for and accepting help can also be hard. Many families facing cancer have shared with the Cancer Support Community that financial worries about cancer costs are a significant source of stress, and they don't know where to turn.
This section is a starting place to learn how to talk about the financial side of cancer and where to go for help.
I think all of us when we look at cancer...want closure so we can move on with our lives. The financial aspect can be the most difficult to resolve.
The First Step in Managing the Cost of Cancer Treatment? Seek Help.
Do you have a friend or family member who can help you? If not, ask your doctor to refer you to an oncology social worker, financial counselor or to a nonprofit organization for helping managing the financial issues and cancer costs. Many people diagnosed with cancer ask someone else for help to keep up with the financial aspects of cancer care. The key is that someone must address these issues.
Cancer Support Community’s TOLL-FREE Cancer Support Helpline is for anyone affected by cancer. Our counselors are available and ready to assist you, whether you’re looking for cancer resources and information or someone to talk to about the emotional and social worries that cancer sometimes brings into our lives. The Helpline is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET, but you are welcome to call anytime and leave your name and contact number and one of our counselors will call you as soon as possible.
The Cancer Support Helpline offers:
- Connections to local or national resources, including support groups, housing, transportation services, and other programs
- Supportive counseling in over 200 languages
- Referrals to financial, clinical trials, genetics/genomics, and pediatric oncology resources
- Advice on talking to children, family, and health care providers
Call 1-888-793-9355 and a Helpline Call Counselor will be happy to assist you or Chat Online with one of our Helpline staff Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. ET and Saturday - Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET.
Tips for Managing & Budgeting Your Cancer Costs
Learn more about taking control of your cancer costs.
Frankly Speaking About Cancer Library
Donita, a Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) survivor, discusses the difficulties of dealing with the cost of oral drugs, especially when undergoing changes in health insurance coverage.
Donita, a Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) survivor, shares advice on the how to cope with the cost of care.
Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) patient, Diane, shares helpful tips for coping with the cost of treatment.
Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) patient, Diane, shares helpful tips for finding co-pay assistance.
Barry, a caregiver, discusses the financial impact of cancer.
Carmen, a lung cancer survivor, discusses how she dealt with the the financial burden of cancer.
Webinars & eLearnings
- Understand health insurance
- Find out what your insurance covers
- Understand what you expect to pay for your treatment
- Ways to prepare for out-of-pocket costs
- Planning for future costs
- Ideas for lowering costs
- Resources and information about financial aid
- The most common medical-related costs for cancer care
- Practical questions to ask as you learn about cancer care costs
- Information about resources that can help
Hear from guest speakers Sean Hebbel and Joanna Morales about health insurance coverage, patient assistance, and financial advising.
Hear from guest speakers Jen Sinclair and Joanna Morales speak about:
- Financial concerns
- Clinical trial expenses
- Financial assistance
- Legal expenses
- Tips for reducing stress
Hear from guest speakers Amanda Holt and Dawn Holcombe about their tips for reducing the cost of cancer care.
Hear from guest speakers Joanna Morales and Angie Santangelo about stress due to financial issues, tips to reduce stress, out-of-pocket costs, and unexpected costs.