The Cancer Transitions program targets many of the physical, psychosocial, and practical issues that you and your loved ones may face now that cancer treatment is over. It will empower you to reach a higher quality of life with improved lifestyle skills and habits in:
Patients who participate in their fight for recovery along with their health care team, will improve the quality of their lives and may enhance the possibility of recovery.
—Dr. Harold Benjamin, Founder of The Wellness Community
Cancer survivors nationwide have expressed the need for more encouragement and support with nutrition, exercise, emotional health, and medical management: the primary issues discussed in each session of this program. Participants meet for a 2 ½ hour session each week for six (6) consecutive weeks. Expert presentations, group discussion, and an emphasis on setting and achieving active goals, will ensure that participants receive a unique and enriching experience.
One of the most important aspects of this program is the fact that everyone participating will learn from one another and will realize that they are not alone. This is a special opportunity to connect with other people living with similar experiences and to talk about issues and concerns. At the end of 6 weeks we hope that you will feel a renewed sense of energy and ability to cope with life after treatment. There is one follow-up “Booster” session that will be held four weeks after the core program ends to reinforce the primary lessons learned.
Each of the 6 sessions focus on one survivorship skill-set:
Session 1: Get Back to Wellness: Take Control of Your Survivorship
Session 2: Exercise for Wellness: Customized Exercise
Session 3: Emotional Health and Well-Being: From Patient to Survivor
Session 4: Nutrition Beyond Cancer
Session 5: Medical Management Beyond Cancer: What You Need to Know
Session 6: Moving Beyond Treatment: Next Steps Towards Survivorship
The Cancer Transitions program also features:
• A weekly 30 minute exercise program tailored for the needs of cancer survivors
• Training in relaxation and stress management
• Group discussion and support
• Resources for additional information
Cancer Transitions has been adapted in a U.S. Spanish version as well as for Canada:
- The Spanish adaptation, ¿Ahora Que? La vida después del tratamiento de cancer, encourages caregivers to participate. CSC collaborated with the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill on the program adaptation.
- The Canadian adaptations of the program are available in English and French.
For more information, email us today.
Where is Cancer Transitions being held this year?
- Savannah, Georgia - Thursday mornings starting January 23, 2020, at J.C. Lewis Cancer & Research Pavilion, contact Sarah Copeland at 912-651-5788 for more information
- Henderson, North Carolina - Coming Soon at Latino Advocacy Coalition, contact Jose Pablo for more information
- Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada - Coming Spring 2020 at Saskatchewan Cancer Agency, contact Grant Rathwell for more information
Are you interested in running Cancer Transtions? Contact us today!
Cancer Transitions: Moving Beyond Treatment was created by the Cancer Support Community and LIVESTRONG to support, educate and empower people during the transition period following treatment—especially as people live longer and stronger lives after being treated for cancer.
Frankly Speaking About Cancer: Eating Well for Cancer Survivors
Frankly Speaking About Cancer: Eating Well for Cancer SurvivorsDownload PDF Order Now