The 2012 Frankly Speaking About Cancer: New Discoveries program was created to help people feel more informed and comfortable about the latest innovations in cancer research and treatment. The most recently released version focuses on how medical research is working to make cancer treatment better by learning about the smallest details of each person’s diagnosis. Frankly Speaking About Cancer: New Discoveries touches on several topics such as what "personalized cancer treatment" means as well as useful information about the following:
- How cancer develops and what parts of cancer cells can be used as targets for treatment.
- New tests (biomarker tests also called tumor marker tests) that tell doctors whether or not specific cancer treatments can help a patient. This lets patients avoid using treatments that won't work.
- Common side effects from treatment, and how to manage side effects before they become a problem.
- How to feel better during and after cancer treatment, including how to find strength and control; how to take steps to improve your general health habits; and how find other people and organizations that can help.
- An updated chart with information about various targeted cancer treatments available to date, how those treatments work, and biomarker tests used.
Made possible through the generous support of Genentech and Pfizer as well as CSC’s partnership with Research Advocacy Network, the Frankly Speaking About Cancer: New Discoveries program provides a wealth of information to keep people affected by cancer up to date on the most current cancer treatments and therapies. Order your free booklet today.
Additionally, workshops for Frankly Speaking About Cancer: New Discoveries are being held within CSC’s affiliate network. Check the event calendar
to see if one is being held in your area.