Cancer treatment usually involves several medications as some are for the direct treatment of cancer while additional ones are for managing cancer side effects. It is important to keep track of the medication you are taking to ensure that your treatment is carried out as intended. Some tips to ensure this include:
- Organize your medication. Whether you use pill organizers, charts, calendars, or another method, finding a system that helps you keep track of your medication will help you ensure that you are taking the right medication at the right time.
- Maintain a master list of your medication. You can ask your health care team to print out a list of your medications for you. It is also important that you and your team review an up- to- date list at each clinic appointment so that everyone is fully aware of the medications you are taking. If you have a spouse or caregiver who helps you organize your medication, it will be important to review the list with them as well.
- Do not skip a dose. If you do, contact your health care team for directions.
- Make every attempt to not run out of your medicine. Call your pharmacy when you notice that you are running low on your medication and need a refill. If you have medications that are mail order delivery, attempt to give staff ample time to refill your medication and speak with your insurance company.
- Report any side effects that you experience. It is important to keep your health team informed about the side effects you are experiencing. They can help you manage these.
- Talk to your health care team before starting any medications or vaccinations suggested by an outside physician. You want to make sure your health care team is aware of it and to ensure that it won’t interact with your treatment therapy.