Warm-up (5 minutes)
- Walk or march in place.
- Breathing Arms: Gently raise arms above shoulders, to shoulder height, then lower to sides.
Stretching (5 minutes)
- Neck Roll: Stretch to the sides and/or chin lowered toward chest, only as far as comfortable.
- Shoulder shrugs: Bring your shoulders to your ears in a slow stretch.
- Shoulder Roll: Roll your shoulders, using a small range of motion.
- Standing Cat Stretch (Back Stretch): With hands clasped in front of body, stretch forward with a rounded back as far as is comfortable.
- Side Stretch: While seated, bring your arm across your body and only stretch as far as is comfortable.
Lower Body Strength (5 minutes)
- Stationary Squat: Start in a standing position; push your hips back as you bend your knees.
- Keep your chest lifted up to maintain the natural curvature in your spine. Use a wall for support if needed. Squat up and down as much as is comfortable.
- Seated Squat: Start in a seated position with another chair in front of you; hold onto the back of the chair in front of you (to aid if necessary). Stand up and slowly sit down.
- Seated Leg Extensions: Sit with your heel on floor, foot flexed (toe up) and straighten leg up as far as is comfortable.
Upper Body Strength (5 minutes)
- Push-ups: Start facing forward with your hands against a wall, push towards and away from the wall. If you have the strength, do your push-ups on a chair or the floor.
- Hand Resistance: With your hands facing together, press and release to gently use the muscles of your arms and chest.
- Resistance Bands: If you have resistance bands, you can use them for bicep curls, triceps presses or extensions (can easily vary the amount of resistance). Use in-class instruction for better direction.
Core Strength (5 minutes)
- Seated Crunches: Sit in a chair; hold your stomach muscles in then “crunch” your knees up to your chest (hold the sides of the chair if you need the support). You can also twist, touching your opposite elbow to knee if this feels comfortable.
- Push your lower back (rounded) against the back of the chair while holding your stomach tight, hold, release, repeat (easier).
Cool Down (5 minutes)
- Repeat other stretching movements and “breathing arms” as described above.
- Lie flat on your back, arms at your sides. Take deep breaths in and out until you feel completely relaxed and comfortable.